Last Updated on February 28, 2022
If you are a knife lover then the comparison of Mercer Culinary Genesis vs Renaissance have must crossed your mind. So, if you are still wondering which one is the best, Here is what we think-
Both the Mercer Culinary Genesis and Renaissance knives are made of a single piece of steel. They are both full-tang, which means the metal from blade to handle is one solid piece. This results in a more durable knife that is less likely to break. Both knives have a fine-edged blade, which is ideal for precision work.
But the construction of the two knives differs in their own way. The drop-point blade design is used on the Mercer Culinary Genesis. This means that the blade’s point is lower than the spine, making it more versatile and easier to use. So, without narrating the values let’s find out how they differ and which one works better on what!
Mercer Renaissance vs Genesis
Mercer Culinary is a very well-known brand in the cutlery industry and it is highly trusted by professionals.
The main reason for choosing Mercer is the German steel which is well known for its durability, strength, and resistance against rust. Most of the Mercer knives are made of high carbon stainless steel and feature full tang construction. Their forged knives are made durable and stronger by applying high heat.
The taper-ground edge of a versatile knife ensures stability, easy sharpening, maintains a long-lasting sharp edge, and increases the efficiency of slicing vegetables. In this article, we are going to find out more about Mercer Genesis vs Renaissance to find the most effective one.
Genesis knife and Renaissance Knife belong to the same company named Mercer Culinary, But still, there are some differences between them.
- The handle of the Genesis knife consists of Santoprene. Whereas the handle material of the Renaissance Knife consists of Delrin.
- Genesis knife features full bolster while Renaissance Knife features short bolster.
- Genesis knife has no round spine on the handle but Renaissance Knife has a round Spine on the handle.
- Moreover, Genesis knife is not triple-riveted whereas Renaissance Knife is triple-riveted.
Mercer Culinary Genesis 7-Inch Santoku Knife
1. Handle is made of Santoprene.
Mercer Genesis 6 Piece Forged Knife Set
1. Most popular Mercer Culinary Genesis knife set.
Mercer Culinary Renaissance 8-Inch Forged Chef's Knife
1. Handle is made of Delrin.
Mercer Renaissance 6-Piece Forged Knife Block Set
1. Overall the best and effective renaissance knife set.
There are many similarities in the characteristics between the Mercer Culinary Renaissance Knife and the Genesis knife.
- The blade consists of high carbon Precision-forged German steel.
- Both the knives contain stainless steel to protect the blade from rust and corrosion.
- Both the knives feature full tang construction.
- The taper-ground edge of the knife has a 15 Degree angle.
- The edges of the blades are sharp and plain.
- Both the knives are highly durable, strong, and well-balanced.
- Multi-purpose knife.
- Limited lifetime warranty.
Mercer Culinary Genesis Knife Review
The Mercer Culinary Genesis knife, which is made in Solingen, Germany, is a slightly heavier knife.
This knife is made from premium carbon and stain-resistant x50CrMoV15 materials. The main reason for using these materials is to keep the blade from corroding, rusting, and discoloring.
The blade edge is extremely sharp to slice through chicken, bread, fruits, and vegetables. The main material of the handle is Santoprene which provides a comfortable and secure grip.
As Santoprene is a thermoplastic elastomer so it provides a strong and slip-resistant grip even if your hand is wet.
This NSF-certified genesis knife features full tang construction which means that there is a blade through the full length of the handle.
It provides stability, good balance, and makes the maintenance of the knife much easier. The full bolster increases strength, durability and prevents the slipping of the knife from your hand.
The taper-ground edge of the knife has a 15-degree angle which is the standard angle for most German chefs. This edge helps you to cut foods smoothly, maintains long-lasting sharpness, and is easy to hone and re-sharpen.
- High carbon forged steel.
- Stain-resistant x50CrMoV15 material.
- Taper ground edge.
- Full tang construction.
- Santoprene handle.
|High carbon no-stain steel
|Both plain and serrated
Mercer Culinary Renaissance Knife Review
The Mercer Culinary Renaissance Knife has an ergonomic design for increased strength, durability, and stability.
This knife is made from a single high carbon stainless steel in order to protect the blade from corrosion, rust, and discoloration.
Renaissance knife features a Delrin handle which is soft to touch and provides a comfortable grip. Delrin handle can tolerate both high and low temperatures and won’t damage while using it.
The triple-rivet knife contains a short bolster which increases strength, balance, and makes the honing easier. The European tapered shape gives a classic look to the Renaissance knife.
For easy grip, there is a round spine on the handle and full tang construction provides perfect balance and durability.
The taper-ground edge has a 15-degree angle which ensures long-lasting sharp edge, stability, smooth slicing of foods, honing and re-sharpening of the Renaissance knife much easier.
This budget-friendly knife is NSF certified and comes with a limited lifetime warranty. It is a high-quality knife and you can use it for multiple purposes including slicing, chopping, and dicing.
- Precision-forged construction with German Steel.
- Delrin comfortable handle.
- Full tang construction.
- Shortened bolster.
- Taper ground edge.
- Round spine.
|High carbon stainless steel
|Taper ground edge
|Both plain and serrated
Some Important Tips for Handling Mercer Culinary Knives
- Handwash the knives with mild soap or Detergent.
- Rinse the knife with warm water carefully And dry it immediately with a towel.
- Never keep the knife in a dishwasher Because the harsh detergent or soap can Cause harm to the blade.
- Never keep the knife in the dishwasher for a Long Period of time.
- Sharp and hone the knife regularly.
- Avoid sharpening your knife after getting Very dull.
- Keep the knife in a block or drawer for avoiding any accident.
We all want a knife that is precision-forged, strong, durable, stable, well-balanced, and capable of performing multiple tasks; however, it is extremely difficult to find all of these qualities in a single knife.
A knife is an important asset for every kitchen and we cannot think of cooking without a knife. For doing any kind of task including slicing and chopping vegetables you need a high-quality knife.
Both the knives described above are very good knives for your everyday task. But if you tell us to find the best one then, we will suggest you buy Mercer Culinary Renaissance knife for its high performance.
In order to protect the blade from rust, this knife is forged with high carbon stain-resistant steel. The full tang construction and 15-degree taper-ground edge allow for easy sharpening, a long-lasting sharp edge, and increased slicing efficiency.
Its Delrin handle and round spine make it easy to hold and comfortable to use. The short bolster grips the edge of the handle very tightly.
All of the Renaissance knife’s characteristics have really impressed us. As a result, we recommend keeping one of these knives in your kitchen as a backup.